Sunday, June 24, 2007

You Are Getting Sleepy...

I'm exhausted. No, not of trying to stick to a diet (mainly because I haven't started yet). Tired. My circadian rythym has been off for about six months. Saturday, I didn't even wake up until 5pm. I was out so cold, I slept through the phone ringing. Then last night, I couldn't get to sleep (big surprise), and had to get up by 10 this morning.

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a link between losing weight and sleep. I might be able to remember it is I weren't exhausted. Okay, here we go. Does Losing Sleep Mean Gaining Weight?

Researchers from the University of Chicago and Stanford University have completed two studies that show lack of sleep causes changes in hormones that result in increased appetite and weight gain.

Scientists were amazed to find that hormone levels can be affected after as few as two nights of poor sleep, triggering alterations in the brain's chemistry that increase appetite.
It's hard to be making a plan when I can't think clearly. I should be exercising six out of seven days. I have a great Pilates book with a modified beginner program. When I was losing weight before this was a great program for me, and I'd gotten into the regular beginner adding in some additional moves. The only kind of sustained cardio work I've ever been able to cope with is swimming, but it's too expensive to join a gym. I have been able to slog through HIIT, though, and I can do that in the gym in my apartment building. Since HIIT seems too tiring just thinking about it, I'm going to do Pilates tomorrow morning and then alternate the rest of the week. I have both Saturday and Sunday off next weekend because my schedule is shifting, so that will give me another week to decide if my one day of not working is my day off working out or not.

Food. I don't really have a plan. In the past my routine has been to make dinner and double up so I have lunch for the next day. But now that I've been working a few nights, I'll probably want something ready to go for those nights AND the next day's lunch. Crockpot, rotisserie chicken, and some doubled up Saving Dinner recipes?

Oh, and serendipitously, The Divine Low Carb has a bit of a rant on my quandry of yesterday: Can you be Fat Accepting and on a diet at the same time?

No comments: