Friday, June 22, 2007

Being Fat Isn't My Only Problem

I have a problem with depression. I've had it since childhood. But better living through chemistry and all that. I'm pumped full of Prozac and will need to take a maintenance dose for life. If someone wants me to stop, they're going to have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

I also have a problem with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). My main problems are with executive function, impulse control, and hyper-focus. That is being managed less well, but the Drug Doc and I are trying to find something that works. The current attempt is 450 mg of Wellbutrin. I'm not really thinking that it's working.

I've recently begun to admit to myself that I have a problem with binge eating. Great. As if my brain isn't eff'ed up enough already, now I've got another disorder. Brill.

I started doing some research into binge eating today. And I kept thinking, Jesus, these people have issues. I mean I have issues, but I'm on enough "issues" drugs to keep a water buffalo well-balanced and in a good mood. It's more like a really bad habit that I have absolutely no control over. I kept reading. No that really didn't sound like me. I do binge eat, but there's nothing emotional tied up in it. It's just an impulse I can't control.

Huh? Impulse control? Haven't I heard that somewhere recently? Oh, right, just a couple of paragraphs back! And then the penny drops. In the last week or so, as my new, higher dose of Wellbutrin has been kicking in, I'm not having as many problems. Maybe it is working, just not on the things I expected. Wellbutrin is actually prescribed for people with addictions (most commonly heroin, meth and nicotine), so apparently it does effect this area of the brain.

I'm also underemployed, underpaid, single, childless, over 40, and in debt. But I've gone on enough for today.

New stats in the side bar. And the scale came, it just needs to be programmed.

No comments: