Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Eat Well, Be Well. Baby Steps to Getting There.

Jack-Sprat.net had some interesting insights on eating well they other day. Not just eating healthily, but well.
Admittedly, I think it took me about a year of doing this for me to have that breakthrough. It was a long time before I realized that all of the alternatives and substitutes and strategies I was adopting were not about “dieting” but were about finding new ways to be completely happy.
He's pretty into calorie counting and low fat which I'm not, but the point is still the same. I post occasionally to a low-carb bb and most of the folks there are rather purist in their approach to eating. This is not just shunning chemical sweeteners, but also substitute foods. I admit that a lot of low-carb food is just plain bad tasting. But I didn't cut back on carbs because I didn't like them or the foods they're in. So why not find alternatives and substitutes? I don't want to structure my diet around them, but there's still a place for them.

* * *
This impulse control thing is awesome. Who knew? Yesterday on my way home late with not much to eat at home (yeah, need to get that organized) I stopped at the 7-11 to get something. I started thinking on the Metro on the way there what I might get. I rejected several ideas as yummy but totally inappropriate. In the past I wouldn't have gotten this far even. I finally settled on the idea of some sandwiches that I like there, and ditching the bread before I ate it. I ended up not getting that sandwich, but doing the same thing with a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit. I ended up eating about half the biscuit, so no halo over my head. But at least I thought it through and tried, instead of "resigning" myself to the first thing that popped into my head: Ben & Jerry's.

* * *
And the mouse is still running around with impunity ignoring the trap with peanut butter.

Sleep still bad, but I did do my Pilates this morning. Baby steps.


No comments: