Monday, July 2, 2007

"First" Week

After having developed a low-carb lifestyle a couple of years ago, and kept on with the knowledge that they were not so good for me, it's not too hard to get back into eating better. I really haven't done any meal planning, but I've managed to stay away from the junk and keep my meals well balanced.

Saturday, I had dinner with a couple of my best friends, for a bit of a mutual birthday celebration and we went for Mexican. One of my friends is about two weeks away from having a baby, so she can have whatever she wants. I did nosh on way too many chips before dinner, but I ordered a grilled salmon dish with a yummy creamy sauce that came with veggies. Being Mexican it also came with beans and rice, but they were brought on separate small dishes, so I just set them aside and ignored them. I had a couple of beers, but that was at least better than the sugary Margaritas that I would have liked. The place we went makes really awesome Margaritas. We polished off the night with a stop for ice cream. Okay, not so good. What I liked was that it was a birthday dinner, and I had some things that were full of carbs, but just the ones I wanted. The others (rice and beans, 'ritas) were things I chose not to eat. It was all about choices. Just because I was choosing to eat some carb-y things, didn't mean I should just throw in the towel and eat every bite of junk that came my way.

Despite that celebration, I'm down about 4 lbs. this week. I'll post the details in the sidebar, later when I'm at home with all the numbers. Hopefully, I can keep that up for a couple of weeks for the motivation, until I'm back in the groove. Long term I've usually not done much more than 1 lb./week.

No comments: